The Challenger Learning Center at St. Clair County Community College (SC4), located in SC4’s Experience Center, is part of Challenger Center’s network of Challenger Learning Centers. It is one of 40 Challenger Learning Centers nationwide and the only one in Michigan. It uses space-themed, simulated learning and role-playing strategies to help learners (3rd grade and beyond) bring classroom and real-world studies to life and cultivate skills needed for future success, such as problem-solving, critical thinking, communication and teamwork.
- A simulated, fully immersive, space-themed STEM experience.
- Experience takes place in four custom, specially fabricated rooms – Briefing, Transport, Spacecraft and Mission Control.
- Programming opportunities for learners in 5th grade and beyond.
- Simulated missions 3rd grade learners and beyond with programming that aligns with national education standards and includes comprehensive pre- and post-mission activities. Programming is scalable for learners older than 8th grade.
- Incorporates a hands-on approach to deepen understanding of essential STEM topics.
- Builds critical 21st century skills including communication, collaboration and group problem-solving skills through role-play activities.
- Ignites potential and a passion for learning in students and inspires future pursuit of careers in STEM-related fields.
- Helps shift self-identity from “I don’t like science” to “I like science. I can do science, and I want to do/learn more about science.”
- 3rd through 12th grade students from Michigan and Ontario.
- SC4 current and future students through expected increase in STEM-based articulation agreements with four-year institutions.
- Corporate participants through team-building experiences.
- Educators through professional development opportunities.
- Local community members.