The Challenger Learning Center at St. Clair County Community College (SC4), located in SC4’s Experience Center, is part of Challenger Center’s network of Challenger Learning Centers and a collaboration with Unity in Learning, which consists of the Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum, the Leslie Science & Nature Center and the Yankee Air Museum.
The Challenger Learning Center at SC4 is one of 40 Challenger Learning Centers nationwide and the only one in Michigan. It uses space-themed, simulated learning and role-playing strategies to help learners of all ages bring classroom and real-world studies to life and cultivate skills needed for future success, such as problem-solving, critical thinking, communication and teamwork.
- A simulated, fully immersive, space-themed STEM experience.
- Experience takes place in four custom, specially fabricated rooms – Briefing, Transport, Spacecraft and Mission Control.
- Programming opportunities for learners of all ages.
- Simulated missions targeted specifically for 5-8th grade learners with programming that aligns with national science standards and includes comprehensive pre- and post-mission activities.
- Incorporates a hands-on approach to deepen understanding of essential STEM topics.
- Builds critical 21st century skills including communication, collaboration and group problem-solving skills through role-play activities.
- Ignites potential and a passion for learning in students and inspires future pursuit of careers in STEM-related fields.
- Helps shift self-identity from “I don’t like science” to “I like science. I can do science, and I want to do/learn more about science.”
- K-12 students from Michigan and Ontario.
- SC4 current and future students through expected increase in STEM-based articulation agreements with four-year institutions.
- Corporate participants through team-building experiences.
- Educators through professional development opportunities.
- Local community members.